We have a great edition of The Spool in store for you today - it's a 5-minute read.
Huge congrats to our very own Jesse Randall, Sweater’s Founder & CEO, and Cara Morphew, Sweater’s Investment Partner, who have been named among the top VC's in the Rocky Mountains by Business Insider! (paywall)
In September's edition:
- Meet the woman on a mission to redefine venture, Sweater’s very own Cara Morphew❄️
- Exciting updates from our portfolio companies💼
- Looking for a new job? We’ve got you covered, no tricks here👩💻
- Virtual Events💻
So let's dive in!
The Sweater team came together for our quarterly offsite in August. This is a time when we brainstorm new ideas, discuss must-have features, talk about where we’re going as a company, bond over DISC assessments (but really), and talk about why we’re doing it all. The conversation, no matter where it takes place, always comes back to one thing.
You. Our Members.
You are what keeps this community alive. You are why it evolves. You are Sweater at its core.
You are why our investment team receives hundreds of pitches every month from incredible founders. You are why the Cashmere Fund invests in venture-qualified companies that are network affectable, scalably impactful, and broadly understandable.
You are why we have thrown out the traditional VC playbook and don't charge carry, which is a rare benefit in the VC space.
You are why the engineering team works tirelessly to introduce new features like alternative funding options and removing transaction fees.
You are why there are on-demand educational events in the app.
You are why Venture Academy is already seeing graduates (new courses are coming soon in-app!).
You are why 28 startups and counting are disrupting their respective industries. You are an integral part of the venture capital community, and we want to thank you.
Together, we are financing the next generation of world-changing startups. Our community and the stories we hear every single day are what make this movement remarkable. We are all here for the Cashmere Fund's potential returns, but this tight-knit community is reshaping the future of finance and is a reminder of the power we hold together.
The team left this offsite buzzing with energy and excitement because we are embarking on a journey to deliver you some exceptional things. Our mission hasn’t changed. We are still throwing open the elusive gates to venture capital for retail investors. Do you want to join us?
Do you want to maximize your power as a Sweater Member? Join the future of venture capital. Add your bank to invest in a fully managed portfolio today.
Port Co’s in the Wild
News, with a seasonal twist🗞
- We’re thrilled to share Accredible ranked No. 1258 on the 2023 Inc. 5000, Inc.’s annual list of the fastest-growing private companies in America, and ranked number 25 in education. Companies on the 2023 Inc. 5000 are ranked according to percentage revenue growth from 2019 to 2022. “It’s an honor to be recognized among such a strong group of pioneering and innovative companies,” said Danny King, Accredible CEO and Co-Founder. Read more on this well deserved ranking here.
- Congratulations to Last Gameboard’s Co-Founder and CEO Shail Mehta on being announced as a Finalist for this year's prestigious Wonder Women Award by WiT - Women in Toys, Licensing & Entertainment! The Wonder Women Awards recognize outstanding women who have made a significant and lasting impact on the toy, consumer products, licensing and entertainment industries.
- After.com is expanding their services to families in the greater Portland area! Want to learn more? Click here.
- Did you miss your chance at ordering a Hearth Display in May? You’re not alone! If you’re already thinking about your holiday shopping, now is a great time to get your deposit in for their next drop… Click here to get on the list.
- We welcomed two new port co’s last month to the Cashmere Fund! Please give a warm welcome to Cloud Apartments and Hone Health🧶
Interested in how Startup equity actually works? Click here.
- Senior Brand Manager (Remote) at Cabinet Health.
- Sales Development Representative at After.com.
- Mobile Nurse Practitioner (Multiple locations) at Hone Health.
- Conversion Optimization Specialist at Hone Health.
- Customer Experience Associate, Social Lead (Remote) at Hearth Display.
- Full-Stack Engineer at Hearth Display.
Tuesday, September 12th
1:00 PM MDT
Office Hours is where you can turn to get answers to any and all questions you may have, so you can enter the world of venture investing feeling confident. We purposely keep these sessions small so we can really dive into anything on your mind. We'll always cover an overview of our investment strategy, returns, liquidity, and fees, plus leave lots of time for Q&A. Register here.
Get your Sweater fix on-demand. To view our entire library of on-demand content, click here.
We are mixing it up this month and introducing you to one of the powerhouses behind Sweater and the Cashmere Fund, Cara Morphew, who was just named one of the top Venture Capitalists in the Rocky Mountains by Business Insider!
In venture capital, funding often depends on a founder's network and connections. But Cara Morphew is on a mission to redefine the industry. Her passion is palpable when discussing her ultimate goal – to provide more funding and opportunities for underrepresented founders and investors. Venture capital has been a field dominated by privilege and exclusivity. Recognizing the need for change, Cara emphasizes that diversity needs to be woven into every level of the ecosystem to transform the asset class.
Looking forward, Cara's excitement for the industry is fueled by the prospect of alternative financing. She envisions a landscape where startups can secure funding from their most loyal customer base, shifting away from relying solely on traditional VC firms. The idea of involving customers in the growth and success of a startup resonates with her, seeing it as a powerful way to leverage loyalty.
For startups looking for insight on how to pitch Cara, know that her criteria goes beyond financial projections when evaluating startups and their founders. She seeks out founders who possess a unique blend of passion, resilience, and emotional intelligence. Recognizing the rollercoaster journey of entrepreneurship, she believes that unwavering passion is essential to weathering the inevitable ups and downs. "It also requires substantial resilience to raise VC money – for every 'yes', there’s going to be dozens of 'no’s'," she acknowledges.
Behind the professional façade lies a person with a love for exploration. Cara has lived in 8 cities across the globe, embracing diverse cultures and experiences. Her affinity for skiing is a part of her identity, having chased slopes on three continents, with her sights set on all seven.
Cara Morphew stands as a trailblazer in the venture capital landscape, weaving together diversity, community, and innovation. Guided by the principles of integrity, empathy, and transparency, she is poised to reshape the future of venture capital, one investment at a time.
Every month we feature a Cashmere Fund Port Co Founder or Sweater Member. Would you like to be featured next month? Click here to introduce yourself.🤝
Hungry to learn more about getting involved with startups?
Check out the coolest new blog since, well, Sweater’s. It’s called The Playbook. Started by Sweater’s very own Chase Prather and Antler’s Kasim Abdulahi, The Playbook has got it all covered from brainstorming that first big idea to watching it make a real impact. Check it out and subscribe here.